Foundation cone of Gudea. Conical cuneiform object with flat head resembling the head of a nail. The sides of the cone has eight lines of cuneiform. The end of the cone has been broken off.
8 columns of cuneiform inscription, reading: "To Ningishzida, his god, Gudea, ruler of Lagash, man of Gatumdug, he built for him the temple in Girsu"
-Alan Cole.It was common to decorate the walls of temples with clay nails. Later this practice became a way of marking ownership of a building. From 2400 BC to 1700 BC, inscribed nails were driven into temple and tomb walls or door jambs, sometimes briefly stating the name of the ruler who built the temple, or bearing a inscription lengthy inscription of historic events. This foundation cone states that Gudea, ruler of Lagash from 2141-2122 BC, built the temple at Girsu to the god Ningishzida.
No information available
w: -, h: 116, d: -